How to mount a dos floppy ?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 12 15:44:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 11:19 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> How do I mount an old dos floppy without making additions to fstab?
>
> I assume there is a proper way to do this since an icon comes up on the
> desktop when I plug the disk in to the drive but it can't deal with the
> file system apparently and refuses to mount.  I don't know the magic
> incantation for the command line.
>
> I have a few disks I need to extract text [.doc] files from.
>
> Bob Goodwinis

The easiest way to do that is with the mtools commands(mdir, mcopy,etc.)

mdir a:/ will give you the directory of the floppy
mcopy a:/foo  ./    will copy the file foo to the current directory.

Although mounting the floppy with file type msdos should also work.

You single-handedly fought your way into this hopeless mess.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net