How to mount a dos floppy ?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jul 12 15:56:22 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 11:19 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> How do I mount an old dos floppy without making additions to fstab?
>>
>> I assume there is a proper way to do this since an icon comes up on the
>> desktop when I plug the disk in to the drive but it can't deal with the
>> file system apparently and refuses to mount.  I don't know the magic
>> incantation for the command line.
>>
>> I have a few disks I need to extract text [.doc] files from.
>>
>> Bob Goodwinis
>>

> The easiest way to do that is with the mtools commands(mdir, mcopy,etc.)
>
> mdir a:/ will give you the directory of the floppy
> mcopy a:/foo  ./    will copy the file foo to the current directory.
>
> Although mounting the floppy with file type msdos should also work.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try as you say.

My daughter came across a stack of disks she didn't want to toss out but
has no drive on her Mac to accommodate them.  So I guess I am going to
have to save the files to a CD and I prefer to work on my Linux box.

The result of a garage cleaning effort yesterday afternoon in 95°F heat.

Bob Goodwin