Yum annoyance: "[Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum" over and over

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 13 05:11:53 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
> Yum is dumber than dumb when it comes to the mirrors list. It just
> goes down the list until a working site is found. Connection quality
> and speed are not used. You probably need another plugin, i.e.
> fastestmirror, to get mirrors that work with your connection.
> [Disclaimer: I do not use fastest mirror and cannot vouch for it.]
>
> The other choice is to examine the mirrors list, find a site that
> connects reliably, and hard code the site into the .repo file. [I use
> this method.]

  The problem here isn't connection quality and speed - even if every
one of the one or two dozen servers it has to go through is fast, it
takes a long time to go through them.  The strange thing is that I can
alternate between "yum update" and "yum clean metadata", and sometimes
it works on the first mirror, sometimes after one or two failures, and
sometimes after a few dozen.  They tend to fail in bunches - either a
lot of failures or very few.  It wasn't like this until a few weeks ago
- shortly but not immediately after F7 came out, I think.