How do I rebuild the initrd?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 13 06:47:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 01:10 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> I would still like to know how to rebuild the initrd but so far no one knows.
> It must be some super secret incantation. I suppose if I understood python I
> could read the anaconda src and see how they do it but alas I do not speak
> python. :-(

I've only done the simplest of things with remaking the initrd, to get
things to work after relabelling a swap partition.  The command line
was:  mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

That was on an, otherwise, working machine.  The first uname being used
to set the right filename, the second being to associate it with the
right version of the kernel (as far as I read the man page about this).

NB:  Those are backticks or grave accents used on the command line, they
are NOT apostrophes nor single quotes.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.