2 Subnets on 1 Lan

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Fri Jul 13 13:16:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:11:51AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> One possible issue here: you can't serve both address ranges via DHCP
> and keep then separated on the same wire.  In that scenario the DHCP
> server can't distinguish any difference in the requests unless you
> configure responses by MAC address.  If one of the ranges has statically
> assigned addresses, this isn't a problem.

Other services have problems, too; I think dynamic DNS may be upset at this,
for one.

Oh, and another thing--it's important to segregate what you may consider
acceptable in a small home network, and what would ever be acceptable in
a business or professional environment.  I'd never advocate this outside
an experimental environment.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat