2 Subnets on 1 Lan

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 13 14:00:18 UTC 2007

Thom Paine wrote:
> I have a small network that is 10.10.10.x and I have a few PLC devices
> that I'd like to be able to talk to that are on a 192.168.0.x segment.
>
> Can I put some sort of a route statement into my fedora server that
> will link these two so that I can talk to the 192 devices from my pc
> on my 10 network? I use my fedora box as my router and dhcp server.
>
> Thanks.

One way is to add a route to the 192.168.0.x network through the
same interface as the 10.10.10.x network. Something like:
route add -net 192.168.0.0 eth0
or
route add -net 192.168.0.0 dev eth0

You can have the route added automatically by creating a
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-<interface-name> file with the
route.

I used it with the old format of:
192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0

I am not sure, but I think the new format would be:
ADDRESS0=192.168.0.0
NETMASK0=255.255.255.0

or
ADDRESS0=192.168.0.0
NETMASK0=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY0=10.10.10.x

Remember, your machine does not need an IP address in the network
range you are trying to talk to. You just need to know how to get to
that network. (Without adding the specific route, your computer
would try to use the default route.) You may also have to open a
hole in your firewall for the 192.168.0.0 network, depending on your
setup.

Mikkel