Resouce Hungry - FC7 OR XP/Vista

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jul 13 16:22:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 09:12:26PM +0600, Mustafa Qasim wrote:
>    Hello!

>    Can anyone tell me that how much resources F7 consumes for it CORE
>    OPERATIONS. Can a common guy who is not even a semi-geek nor an IT man
>    and has a Pentium II with 128 SDRAM at his home for normal home usage
>    afford having F7(X-Window) or later ones on his machine.
>    Is Fedora best for guys upgrading their systems every year or is it
>    also a solution for poor people having old systems?

There are Linuxes and there are Linuxes. You need 250 MB to install
Fedora as it stands now. The roll-your-own-CD tools should make it
possible to build an installation CD that does not require so much
memory, but if anyone has done it I've not heard of it.

On the other tentacle, I just put xubuntu on a 133MHz Pentium machine
with 67MB. I did a text installation from the alternatives CD. It took
four hours. I then added just enough of X that I could run firestarter
remotely on it. It is now back in service as my firewall.

On another tentacle, for folks with older machines who simply want to
use email, the web, and maybe an occasional bit of word processing,
DSL (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) is an excellent live CD one can
install to a hard drive.

To get equivalent Windows resource requirements, you would have to go
to W9x, and I wouldn't let the results anywhere near an Internet
connection.