Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 19:03:29 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:

>> I remember they were bought out by Microsoft and their Linux
>> products unsurprisingly died immediately thereafter:
>> http://www.forbes.com/2000/10/03/1003corel.htm
>> It is slightly surprising that Canada permitted such a
>> blatantly anticompetitive action to happen, but Corel was
>> probably on its way to bankruptcy anyway.
>
> Don't what that article said since the link is no longer good,
> but, I'd say it was inaccurate if it claims that MS bought out
> Corel.
> http://www.corel.com/
> I still use WordPerfect and prefer it, in Windows land, to MS
> Word. They've certainly come out with several new versions since
> 2000.

That's odd - I can sometimes get that link and sometimes not myself.
But anyway, Microsoft's ownership was temporary, probably only until the
Linux talent had moved on.
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+sell+stake+in+Corel/2100-1012_3-992014.html
It didn't seem likely from the start that MS was really going to fund a
competitor to MS office, especially on a competing OS.  Now its more
like Corel who?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com