Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 13 22:18:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 17:57 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:16:33 +0600
> "Mustafa Qasim" <alajal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > they
> > just want me to practically prove that Linux is much easier and secure then
> > Windows
>
> Well, to see how simple and easy getting X to work in linux can be,
> take a look at:
>
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html
>
> :-).

Hi, Tom,
	Not to pick nits (well, not too much anyway), your setup is not quite a
typical home users system.  Generally the home user buys a system with
software installed, turns it on and expects it to work.  Dell pretty
much accomplishes that from what I understand.  Are there any folks out
there who bought one of the dell systems with Linux on it?  What was
your experience.

	By the way, Tom, Nice setup.  I like it.  I have a very early dual
pentium from Powerspec.  It works well, runs linux and XP both.  My
experience installing FC6 was pretty simple, but the first effort on a
VERY OLD celeron system was not pretty.  Mostly limited memory, small
disk, and bad dvd pretty well made that experience mirror yours, but in
different areas.  The Powerspec got into the it just works mode pretty
early and the only problem I had was figuring out the driver stuff, but
once Livna and I got acquainted, that was a no brainer also (but that
did not keep Linux from working, it just made the 3D mmorg's very slow,
and as I said, Livna fixed that.)  Of course setting up email was a
pain, and I get frequent drop out from the DSL that I dont yet
understand, but that seems to have improved over time with the improved
updates that keep coming out.  But I will have to move on to F7 soon.

	By the way, my current problem is GIMP and trying to print photos which
doesn't work, but hasn't picqued my interest enough to make it a quest
yet.

Regards,
Les H