Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jul 14 01:54:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 09:14 -0600, GaryCarr wrote:
> For most consumers, a computer is a tool, a means to an end. They want
> to turn it on, log into it, and use it to do the things they want to
> do. They expect their computer to automatically connect to the
> internet without hours of time spent trying to get their wireless to
> work, and frequently never succeeding. They expect to hook up their
> printers, scanners, digital cameras, etc. and have them immediately
> work, not spend hours trying to find drivers, etc. They expect to view
> a video sent by a friend by clicking on the attachment, and have it
> work, not spend hours trying to get the right codecs,

To be blunt, all those issues describe the problems that non computer
literate users have with *any* OS.  Windows users *also* struggle trying
to get things to work, at all, or consistently, and do give up.

Even computer literate users still have to spend many hours trying to
get that "driver that works" with their graphics card, sound card, etc.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.