Add Wireless to Laptop

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jul 14 11:26:30 UTC 2007

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

>> Just found:
>> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/fedora-ppc/2006-March/000804.html

> Thanks for this reference.  I did the recommended things, but
> I still have a configuration error.  If I boot with the
> wireless on, I get:
>
>    Jul 13 21:50:16 mbrc35 NetworkManager: nm_device_is_802_3_ethernet:
>       assertion `dev != NULL' failed
>    Jul 13 21:50:16 mbrc35 NetworkManager: nm_device_is_802_11_wireless:
>       assertion `dev != NULL' failed

This seems to be a minority opinion,
but in my view NM may be great if WiFi is working,
but if it is not working then it is better to turn off NM,
as it simply adds an extra layer of confusion.

Basically, you have to ensure that you have the correct driver installed,
and that any additional steps necessary have been taken.
I don't think NM helps with this.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366