System halted instead shut down

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Jul 14 11:31:11 UTC 2007

On Saturday 14 July 2007 07:23, Mohan Jayaweera wrote:
>  Greetings to the list!
> This is the first time I am writing to this list
>
> my problem is, my Intel mechine stops powered on leaving this(below) mesg
> when I shut it down. I am running Fedora 7, yum updated more than 584Ms
> after the installation yesterday.
> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000.07.8.0
> System halted
> is there any remedy for this matter
> thanks in advance
> Mohan

Hello Mohan.

This problem only seems to happen with some hardware, and with more recent
kernels. I have the problem on one machine with FC5, and kernels later than
2.6.17, although the original 2.6.15 kernel shutsdown the machine completely.
On the same machine Fedora 7 has the same problem. On the other machine
(different hardware) FC5 shutsdown completely with all kernels.

There are a couple of options you can try for a start. When you boot up and
get the Grub menu, choose the kernel you want to boot from, and press "e".
Add one of the following options to the kernel line. Do one space before the
option. When you have added the option press "b", and the kernel will be
booted with the option. When booted, now see if it will shutdown completely.
If not, remove the first option, and try the other.

acpi=force
lacpi

Acpi=force worked for me, and I know that lacpi worked for someone else. There
are other options, but you may have to look back through the list archives,
as this problem has been discussed quite a lot.

If one of the options works, you can add it permanently to the kernel line by
editing /boot/grub/grub.conf.

All the best.

Nigel.