Homegrown RPMs, was Re: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 14 14:18:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 12:20 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> The biggest complaint that I read in both the press (linux based) and
> hear is the difference in packaging.  I need an rpm for this or that.
> Use Apt in this version or Yum in that version.  This creates a headache
> for developers that want to share their work.  What distros do they
> support?  I have seen enough that don't support Fedora to direct me to
> look at making my own RPM's.  Now to find the time. :)

Take a look at checkinstall.  I'm using version 1.6.  Make sure to
put /etc/selinux in the excludes section of /etc/checkinstallrc, and you
should be able to generate rpms on just about any package that you can
do a ./configure, make, make install process on.  Just substitute
checkinstall for the make install step.

Dave