Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:38:40 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 02:15 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I'd give Centos 3.x a try on old machines.  It has the 2.4 kernel and
>> is still supported with security/bugfix updates and administration is
>> very similar to fedora.  And on a server, old versions are fine.
>
> I'm curious why you'd say as old as 3?  Are the releases, since then,
> that much more demanding of resources?

Support for some older hardware has been dropped, and the new features
of 2.6 are mostly geared toward multiple processors and removable media.
  You can still expect Centos3 to run for years and everything a server
needs already works on it - dovecot being a possible exception since it
was a pre-release version.  If you run it you might want to grab a newer
src rpm and rebuild it.  You probably wouldn't want it on a desktop
since desktop apps are still improving and 'enterprise' distributions
only get bug/security fix updates, not new app versions or features.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com