How can i make a wireless connection in the command line?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 14 18:33:34 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> As far as I know, the version of ifconfig used by Linux does not
>> understand wireless extensions. So you would need to use iwconfig
>> instead. You also have to specify the correct interface name for
>> iwconfig. Something like:
>>
>> iwconfig eth0 essid Skippy mode managed key 01122334455667788aabbccddee
>>
>> or
>>
>> iwconfig wlan0 essid Skippy mode managed key restricted
>> 01122334455667788aabbccddee
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
>    I just turned on my laptop that is working with WiFi and ifconfig
> shows an entry it calls wifi0.00 and it has the latest data on the
> connection. This is on F7.
>
> Karl

Strange - when I run ifconfig I do not see any information about the
essid, Wireless mode, key, etc. I do see this when I run iwconfig.
So either you have a different version of ifconfig or you completely
missed the point. We were talking about wireless extensions.

Now, as far as the name of the interface, it depends on the driver
and if you are using driver's default name. For example, using the
iwl3945 driver, my wireless interface is wlan0. If I tried to set
wireless options for wifi0.00, it would not work. Under FC-6 with
the ipw3945 driver, it is eth1. This is why you need to know the
correct interface name wen setting it manually from the command line.

Mikkel