Suspending to swap with two OS's

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 19:36:30 UTC 2007

On 14/07/07, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen writes:
>
> > sda1 is Ubuntu, sda2 is empty, sda3 is swap, and sda4 is /home. I'd
> > like to install Fedora to sda2 and use sda3 as swap for Fedora as
> > well. However, I'm concerned that when Ubuntu suspends it will dump
> > it's memory to swap, which Fedora will overwrite when I boot Fedora
> > (and vice versa). Is this a valid concern? Should I give each OS it's
> > own swap?
>
> Yes, it's a valid concern, and that's exactly what will happen, if you
> configure this partition as a swap partition, in Fedora.

Thanks. As I'm running out of disk space in /home, I'd rather not
create another swap partition. Is it true that a swap file on the same
disk as the file system performs as well as a swap partition? This
machine has 2 GB of physical memory.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/