Only 4 partitions available after resizing drive with XP on it

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jul 15 02:42:45 UTC 2007

Kam Leo wrote:
> On 7/14/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> You need to understand the way the partition table works. With a DOS
>> partition table, you only have 4 primary partitions. One or more of
>> these can be extended partitions. This is partition 1 through 4. If
>> you have extended partitions, you can have 1 or more logical
>> partitions in the extended partition. The logical partitions
>> numbering starts at 5.
>
> [ref. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323967/en-us]
> Any drive on a Windows-based computer can have a maximum of four
> partitions, which can be made up of up to four primary partitions or
> which can be made up of up to three primary partitions and one
> extended partition. You can divide an extended partition into a number
> of logical drives, which extends the four-partition limit.
>
> [ref. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/41189/en-us]
> The maximum number of logical drives that can be contained in an
> extended partition is 23. Thus, with an active MS-DOS partition, and
> all 23 logical drives (in the extended partition) allocated, this
> gives 24 hard-disk drives (23 + 1) that can be used, in conjunction
> with other virtual RAM drives, network drives, and floppy-disk drives.
> The maximum number of total drives that MS-DOS can use is 26: Drive A
> through Drive Z.

One interesting thing is that you can have a Windows extended
partition, and a Linux extended partition. Windows will not see the
logical partitions defined by the Linux extended partition, but
Linux will.

From the known partition type table in fdisk:
 5  Extended
85  Linux extended

I don't have a drive handy with both types of extended partitions,
but I have done it in the past. I don't remember putting more then
one Linux extended partition, so I don't know if it would work, but
I would not be surprised if it did.

Mikkel