F7 install Kernel Panic -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jul 15 13:15:32 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>

>> I would have liked to do away with the LVM stuff when installing but
>> have yet to learn how to accomplish that.
>>

> I'm not sure exactly what you are doing, or trying to do
> (and I do not set up as an expert anyway),
> but I don't think /boot can be on an LVM partition.
>
> I have boot on /dev/sdb2,
> and all the LVM partitions on /dev/sdb6 .
> --------------------------
> /dev/sdb1   *           1        2433    19543041    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> /dev/sdb2            2434        2446      104422+  83  Linux
> /dev/sdb3            2451        3424     7823655   81  Minix / old Linux
> /dev/sdb4            3425       36472   265458060    5  Extended
> /dev/sdb5            3425        4033     4891761    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> /dev/sdb6            4034       36472   260566236   8e  Linux LVM
> --------------------------
> root at alfred tim]# cat /etc/fstab
> /dev/VolGroup00/slash   /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot1            /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/home    /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/VolGroup00/opt     /opt                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/tmp     /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/VolGroup00/usr     /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/VolGroup00/var     /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/VolGroup00/www     /www                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/VolGroup00/swap    swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> LABEL=/common           /common                 ext3    defaults        1 2
> --------------------------

The information from your system is of interest.

What am I doing you ask?  I'm not sure myself but I have three boxes
running F7, two installed from the Live CD and all three work nicely,
however the one I installed yesterday is unhappy with the updated
Kernel.  I will simply not boot from that kernel for the present, no
doubt there will be another and when it comes along the situation will
change so I've decided to let it slide until then since it's apparently
not a recognized problem with a known fix.

I thank you for your response and comments.

Bob Goodwin