two audio cards?

stan stanl at cox.net
Sun Jul 15 17:04:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:14:46 -0400
Jeffrey Ross <jeff at bubble.org> wrote:

> Before I stick a second card in the machine I figured I'd ask what to
> watch out for.   I'm going to stick a second audio card in the
> machine, this card will only have its line input used, I will not be
> using its line output for anything.  How do I configure the system to
> use the built in card for output audio but this second card for input
> audio?
>
> TIA, Jeff

This question is a frequently asked question.  Do a search for "linux
modprobe audio" and you should get lots of answers.  You basically have
to set the order in your /etc/modprobe.conf so the cards have fixed
order you can depend on.  Then you can use the configuration tools to
turn on and off what you want - (alsamixer and relatives).