Distro hopping again: freespire

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 05:36:50 UTC 2007

On 16/07/07, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> On Sun July 15 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > But the Windows Media stuff is one of my biggest
> > problems in Fedora/*buntu,
>
> What's the problem? I've got it working in several different distros, in fact
> I've not found a distro I couldn't get it to work in. I did discover
> recently, a change in the way mplayerplug-in installs itself, on at least two
> occasions - perhaps this just has to do with the way it was packaged. If you
> click on a Windows Media file after following the proper procedure for
> installing the codecs and mplayer and mplayerplug-in (I still recommend the
> outline posted way back by Stanton Finley which continues to work well for F7
> http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html) and the file
> doesn't play, try right-clicking on the player window and looking at the
> configuration settings. On at least two occasions recently, I found that the
> video and audio output fields weren't filled in - I've found X11 and Alsa to
> generally work, respectively, but your mileage may vary.
>
> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, MD, USA

Thanks, Claude. My main problem is MMS streams. For my university
lectures, I need full MMS stream support. That means not downloading
the full stream, but watching it online, including FF, rewind, pause,
slow/fast play, etc. Until now I've been watching them in VMWare
running XP. I hate WMP, but I cannot get mPlayer to play these
streams, not even in the VM on Windows.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/