wav files in f7

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jul 16 11:07:01 UTC 2007

Michael H. Semcheski writes:

> On 7/15/07, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
>> Not all .wav files are alike. There are different kinds of wav files. My
>> voicemail system emails me my messages in some bizarre wav format, that I
>> have to let mplayer chew on, in order to get something that'll actually
>> play.
>>
>> Run 'file' on them, and see what it says.
>
> Interesting -- I'm trying to listen to my voicemail too.

More than likely the .wav files coming out of voicemail are compressed GSM
format. My understanding that it's the same compression used for cell phone
audio. Most wav players don't understand it, but mplayer does. So, you need
to use the commandline mplayer tool to translate it into a garden-variety
.wav file.