bug in FC7, adsl (pppoe) doesn't work

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jul 16 13:41:07 UTC 2007

Ashley wrote:

> I can use with or without DNSes, no difference. The problem is the ppp
> connection will not activate. Just gives error. I see that many others
> have the same problem, although trying all sorts to fix or work-around.
> If you visit the link
>
>    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=828416#post828416
>
> When you say before or after "patching" F7, do you mean the updates? I
> had the problem from when doing a clean install. I have installed all
> available updates and still same problem. This is surely a bug?
>
> Any help or advice will be much appreciated!

Probably way off, but are you sure your ADSL modem is using pppoe?
I ask because pppoe did not work for me under Fedora-7,
and then I remembered my ISP had sent me a new modem a year of so ago,
which just used a direct ethernet connection.
[It is my impression most ADSL modems today do this.]

The way I made the error was that I decided to upgrade an old FC-5 system,
so as not to disturb my working FC-6 system.
and my FC-5 must have dated from before the arrival of the new modem.

Very unlikely to be the problem in your case ...

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366