[F7] Automatic adding of mount points

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Jul 16 20:28:51 UTC 2007

vvmarko at panet.co.yu wrote:
> Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, I seem to have missed the
> answer.
>
> Under FC4 I would plug in the USB flash drive, and see in
> /var/log/messages that it is autodetected as /dev/sd*, and then the mount
> point /media/whatever being created and assigned to it. After that, I
> would just type
>
> $ mount /media/whatever
>
> (as an ordinary user, not root) to have the device mounted, if I wish.
> That was the default behavior in FC4, but not in FC6 or F7. Now I have to
> mkdir a mount point, su to root, then mount -t vfat /dev/sda /somewhere,
> chown the files to my username, and then use the device. Possible, but
> painful --- I got used to all that being automatic... :-(
>
> So, how do I get that behavior back? I want it to work for all devices I
> might  plug in, including USB flash drives, CDs, DVDs, external HDs, etc.
>
> Best regards, :-)
> Marko
>
> Marko Vojinovic
> Institute of Physics
> University of Belgrade
> e-mail: vmarko at phy.bg.ac.yu

    Odd. I am using F7 and when I put a flash drive in a USB port it is
automatic mounted at /media and a panel shows up on the desktop listing
everything on the drive. When done I right click the image of the flash
drive on my desktop and then click on Unmount and pull the flashcard
out. I have a external hard drive and it works the same way.  Good luck
Marko :-)

Karl