Add Wireless to Laptop

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 21:32:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:30:08 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 17:00 -0400, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I tried it, and it didn't work.  Here are some notes:
>>
>> 1. I had to edit NetwrokManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher because
>>    they had no levels specified.  This suggests to me that there
>>    must be another procedure.
> You mean you had to run chkconfig to set the on levels for these
> scripts?

No, I used the vi editor.  I must admit that until you
mentioned it, I didn't notice that chkconfig could do this.

>> 2. I set KDE to allow display of programs on the desktop, which
>>    I had previously blocked.
> I is my understanding to get this to work in KDE you need to use
> knetworkmanager. But I never done this since I use gnome.
>>
>> 3. I boot to level 3, and then type startx.  It is my guess that
>>    this is not important.  It is odd that I did not have to edit
>>    inittab after the installation; it installed that way.  I don't
>>    remember selecting any option on this.
> Why are you not booting to run level 5?

Probably for a reason similar to the one that I used the vi
editor as mentioned above.  Basically, I don't like GUI's.
They generally hide the true nature of what you are doing.
Now I must admit, that I to usually use one, but mostly for
the multiple xterms and desktops they provide.

>> 4. When I booted after your modifications, it came up with the
>>    wired connection active.
>>
>> 5. When I try to manually activate the wired the connection, I got:
>>
>>       eys-eth1: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
>>       keys-eth1: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>>       keys-eth1: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
>>       keys-eth1: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>>       3c501 device eth1:1 does not seem to be present, delaying
>>          initialization.
> Now 5, above seems crazy. There are wireless cards that don't work
> directly in f7. You may be having that problem. But in KDE
> knetworkmanager needs to be running.

I think the whole problem is crazy, but we must live with it.
Mike.

[...]