Laptop new

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jul 17 11:04:20 UTC 2007

Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 20:08 -0400, Marc wrote:
>
>> which linux ?
>>
>> On 7/16/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>>
>>>     I was watching the advertisers on Google and was surprised to see
>>> Dell and H/P offer laptops with Linux as the OS and WiFi working! This
>>> is a new and good thing for getting Linux into the hands of plain people
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

> And why would you want it in the hands of plain people?
>
> People tend to find things when they are ready for them, or when they
> become interested in them. Either way, they are either prepared to put
> forth some effort or are already doing so.
> Our world today already has too much spoon-feeding going on, why would
> we want to add to it?
>
> A chain saw is a great tool for many things. But would you hand one to
> your 4-year-old, just because he's got fingers?
>
> Linux isn't by any stretch of the imagination some lonely, under
> appreciated bit of "computer stuff" that needs a fan club to clap and
> cheer for it at a pep rally.
> It's thriving, and doing so in no small part because the point and grunt
> crowd already has colourful things to play with.
>
> The "plain people" you refer to, Karl, have had access to Linux since
> it's birth; that has pretty much been the soul of the system since it
> evolved past the stage of being graded by a crusty old professor.
>
> When people want it, it will be there for them.
> It's pointless and deconstructionist to *put* it in the hands of the
> uninterested, the unknowing, or those unwilling to make any effort at
> all on their own behalf.
>
> Just my opinion, though, apologies if it ruffles any feathers.
>
> Andy

    My first Linux was the very first Slackware issue and it was on like
5 floppies and of course no X window. Been using Linux since then. Now
it's a good imitation of Windows and it is certain Windows is moving
towards Linux. I want others to learn how nice it is without having to
load it on their computer.

Karl