Change in ls -l time stamp display?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:10:58 UTC 2007

On 17/07/07, Pete Geenhuizen <pgeenhuizen at pobox.homeunix.net> wrote:
> On Tue, July 17, 2007 07:36, Karl Larsen wrote:

> > If it loads it is good I thought. I looked at man ls and it seems
> > to be the same one from FC6 so far as I can see. What you show is the
> > same thing from FC6 and F7 the difference being the date. On FC6 you get
> > a USA standard date. On F7 you get the European date and that looks
> > different. Both are accurate I think and I like the looks of the F7 line
> > better :-)
> I'm not disputing it's accuracy.
> I checked the man pages.
> I didn't ask for, didn't select, nor do I live in Europe, no offense, but  I
> have no interest in European time display.
>
> None of you suggestions or comments address my question, and if I preferred
> the f7 output I wouldn't have brought it up, I obviously prefer the old
> listing which has been that way in every Unix version that I've worked on
> for the past 25 years.

It's been suggested that you alias ls or look at LC_TIME.
I'd just like to point out 2007-07-17 is ISO, not European
format; in full the European format would be 17th July 2007.
<http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm>

We should really just throw away all ambiguity and
stick with seconds since epoch. (Bad idea.)

--
imalone