Change in ls -l time stamp display?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 17 12:52:04 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> Look at the ls man file. You can select how you want dates to be
>> represented (--time-style). Play with your BASH configuration to use
>> your preference by default (e.g. give yourself an alias for ls that
>> includes the setting).

Pete Geenhuizen:
> I did that.  I just happen to think that it's anal that you have to
> jump through hoops like this.  Not to mention you have to wonder what
> problem is being solved by this change?

Well, for some people, they're annoyed at having to jump through hoops
to configure the system to show dates in the way they aren't displayed
by default.  You can't please everyone.  Personally I hated the less
than useful display I got, by default, with FC4:

-rwxrwxr-x   1 tim tim    186 Jan 12  2006 signature.script
-rw-rw-r--   1 tim tim  83964 Mar 29 22:41 song.jpeg

I want the year and time showing on all files, and my locale doesn't
usually write dates like "Jan 12".  Getting a full library-style date,
is what I really want (that's "library" as in institutions with books,
not computer library files).

Please don't post HTML to the list, and snip away whatever doesn't
*need* quoting back.  See the notes for using the list.  Those list
guidelines are not just *my* point of view.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.