2.6.22 kernel and WiFi

Jorge Boscan joretur at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:52:25 UTC 2007

HI

check this

so I have this working, no wpa thou, with the same bcml5 from windows

Linux vader 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 #1 SMP Tue Jun 12 14:56:37 EDT 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root at vader ~]# ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : driver installed
        device (14E4:4312) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx-mac80211)

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 1361
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
        Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/0 Enable-
                Address: 00000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [d0] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag+
                Device: Latency L0s <4us, L1 unlimited
                Device: AtnBtn- AtnInd- PwrInd-
                Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s, Port 0
                Link: Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us
                Link: ASPM Disabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk- ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1

On 7/17/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Mark. I am writing a paper about getting WiFi to work on Linux. Are
> >> you certain there is no Linux software package for your laptop. Do you
> >> know who made the WiFi hardware in your laptop? Have you been to the web
> >> page with all the data?
> >>
> >> Karl
> >>

> > When I last looked (a year ago maybe) it was not supported.  It's a
> > broadcom card (4306), which, at the time, was supported 32-bit, but not
> > 64-bit, which is what I have.  That's why I asked about ndiswrapper,
> > it's the only method I was aware of at the time that would work with
> > this card and 64-bit.
> >

> > Ahh, I knew there had to be a catch :-)
> Your 64 bit system is just too much for the people at Broadcom. They
> have written software for Linux and it is being used on 32 bit machines
> with great success.
>
>     So you want to use a 64 bit wrapper of the windows .dll file as a
> way to get going. I will be interested in your results. I hope it works 8-)
>
> Karl
>

> --

[Jorge J. Boscán Etura]
quando omni flunkus moritatus