Rsync fails on local transfers

Justin W jlist at jdjlab.com
Tue Jul 17 16:07:53 UTC 2007

I've got a script I wrote up which backs up my computer using rsync.  A
short overview is that I created a file system image using dd, and now I
mount the image and rsync from the server's HD to the image file.

Periodically during large backups, I get the following error:

     rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (16931 bytes received so far)
     [sender]
     rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
     io.c(453) [sender=2.6.9]

When I Google for the problem, I get many results about a SSH connection
timing out because of inactivity during the delete stage, but I'm not
using SSH, so I don't get why I would have this problem: both the source
and destination are local.

Any ideas on how to debug this would be great. I've thought of using
strace, but it'd result in a huge file which would have to be sorted
through (as rsync isn't technically crashing, rsync would continue with
a shutdown procedure and the logging wouldn't stop right at the point of
failure).

Attached is the backup script I use (the configuration file it loads in
is very simple, so I'm not including that).

Justin W