64 bit F7

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:21:09 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, Peter Gordon <peter at thecodergeek.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 13:31 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:
> > That holds until you try to run multimedia. We're a ways off from
> > getting all multimedia packages in a 64-bit version.
>
> Hmmm...No. Multimedia is a ways off on just about _any_ platform due to
> the legal encumbrances of most formats and codecs. Fedora, by default,
> includes support for Free formats such as Ogg Vorbis, Speex, and FLAC
> audio, as well as Ogg Theora video streams.

Aside from the Microsoft's technical and licensing hurdles that does
not explain why many companies with those IP rights have not ported to
the newest platform. (BTW, many also did not bother to port to Windows
XP-64.) Is it because the 64-bit market is too small to be worth the
effort? If the 64-bit world is so great why has Intel released a whole
bunch of new multi-core 32-bit only processors for the consumer
market. Is it possible that users aren't getting much benefit from
using applications converted to 64-bits?

As they say: "Where is the killer app for 64-bit computing?"