F7 Help with DHCP

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 18 05:37:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 22:37 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Tnx to all for help: I arranged to use the following dhcp.conf file,
> I guess that is not very different from Manuel's...: but I am fully
> un-expert of DHCP (and may others subjects!!!)
>
> ddns-update-style none;

Stops the DHCP server from trying to update DNS records on your DNS
server.

> subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

Sets the subnet it's working in.  Be sure that you've used correct
values for your network.  If your other addresses are all
192.168.0.something, then it's ight.

> range 192.168.0.200 192.168.0.250;

Set a range of IPs that DHCP can give away.  Make sure that they don't
clash with any IPs that are configured in some other way.  Your small
range, here, seems to be doing that.

> option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
> option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
> option routers 192.168.0.1;

Tell the above information to the DHCP clients (they'll use those IPs
for those purposes).

> #option domain-name-servers 62.211.69.250, 212.48.4.15;

Tell the client (if it wasn't commented out) to use those DNS servers to
resolve addresses.  It may well be worth configuring some, unless
everything can, and does, work using nothing more than IP addresses.

> #option domain-name "podzone.net" ;

Tell the client (if it wasn't commented out) to use that domain name for
itself.  It'll be added to the hostname to form a fully-qualified domain
name (one that starts with the hostname, and continues to the final
dot).

> default-lease-time 604800;
> max-lease-time 2592000;
> }

Time to lease out the addresses for (in seconds).  The default it'll be
offered, and the maximum it can ask for.  The client will ask for what
it wants.

Just comparing what you've used with what I use on my LAN, you don't
appear to be missing anything essential.

> For your information we inserted a SC101 Netgear storage device: no
> way to have it working in a Linux environment (and also you need to
> install his software on each windows computer on a network), even if
> it gets a IP number from my Linux DHCP server. But Netgear clearly
> stated that only Windows is supported.

Is that why it's not working?  You can't actually make use of it with
Linux, or that there's a networking problem?

You can test out your DHCP server with one of your other PCs.  Set it to
use DHCP for the network, instead of statically configured addresses,
and see what happens.

I've just had a look at one at the URI below [1], it looks like a
toaster ;-), but the comments suggest that you won't be able to use it.
It appears to use its own proprietary standard, and only makes clients
for it for Windows.  Giving it an IP is only one small part of making
use of it.  It looks like you'll have a plastic brick on your network.

1:  <http://www.dvhardware.net/review89_netgearsc101.html>

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.