skip-broken yum plugin skips dependency check in F7?

Pasha R pashar.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 07:26:17 UTC 2007

For few days already, an update to gnome-sharp package is known to
break f-spot. So, when I run yum update normally, it refuses to
perform an update because it can not resolve dependencies. However,
when I run yum --skip-broken update, it simply ignores dependency
errors and happily installs broken package.

Setting up Update Process
71 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Skipping security plugin, no data
0 packages excluded due to repository protections
Resolving Dependencies
Skipping security plugin, no data
**** Checking packages for dependency problems
**** Checking for dep problems  : gnome-sharp - 2.16.0-2.fc7.i386
--> Running transaction check
---> Package gnome-sharp.i386 0:2.16.0-2.fc7 set to be updated
****   OK : gnome-sharp.i386 0-2.16.0-2.fc7 - u
**** Checking for dep problems  : gnome-sharp - 2.16.0-1.fc6.i386
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: mono(gtkhtml-sharp) = 2.16.0.0 for package: f-spot
--> Processing Dependency: gnome-sharp for package: monodevelop
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
****   Failed
****     Unresolveable requirement mono(gtkhtml-sharp) = 2.16.0.0 for f-spot
****     Unresolveable requirement gnome-sharp for monodevelop
**** Packages with dependency resolving errors
**** gnome-sharp - 2.16.0-1.fc6.i386
****   2
****   2
**** End Checking packages for dependency problems
--> Running transaction check
---> Package gnome-sharp.i386 0:2.16.0-2.fc7 set to be updated

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Updating:
 gnome-sharp             i386       2.16.0-2.fc7     updates           412 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       1 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 412 k
Is this ok [y/N]:

If I answer yes, it actually installs gnome-sharp package, breaking f-spot.