BCM WiFi Problem

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jul 18 10:49:05 UTC 2007

:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:04:09 -0400, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:18:53 -0400, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Please see some new things under the original
>> thread "Add Wireless to Laptop".  What do you
>> think?
>>
>> Mike.
>
> As you may have noticed on the other thread, I now
> see a problem because it doesn't like my key and seems
> to be assuming that I am using WEP, but I am using
> WPA/PSK.  Do you know a way to set this?

Yep.  It's a bit of a rigmarole by hand.  Use

wpa_passphrase SSID >/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

(where SSID is your WPA network name) and then type your WPA shared key
and hit enter.

Then edit

vi /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant

to this

INTERFACES="-iwlan0"
DRIVERS="-Dwext"

then

service wpa_supplicant start

you can monitor progress with

iwevent

apparently but I usually use

dmesg | less

repeatedly.  Once it's associated, you need to give the interface an IP
by dhclient or directly by ifconfig.

-Andy