How to get Festival text to speech working?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jul 18 11:57:29 UTC 2007

Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> I'm trying to evaluate Festival text-to-speech on Fedora 7, but I get
> this error:
>
> festival --tts < test.txt
> Linux: can't open /dev/dsp
>
> Seems many people have this problem, but I can't see any fixes. As always
> System -> Help is useless.
>
> Obviously if it was shipped it must work somehow. Any suggestions?
>
> Joe.

    Hi Joe, I am having the exact same problem with a software called
gmfsk which uses /dev/dsp for output and it always puts up a sign "cant
open /dev/dsp" It works fine for processed input. I think we have
another Bug Joe.

    If anyone else has had this problem please speak up. But not many
people use /dev/dsp :-)

Karl