Changing permissions in /dev

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jul 18 14:49:57 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mark Knoop wrote:
>
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> There used to be a way to change permissions on the many /dev/xyz
>>> directories. The /dev/dsp has a fancy permissions that do not work. I
>>> want to change it back to root uucp and that I can handle
>>>
>> Read about udev permissions here:
>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/udev/
>>
>> But what is your problem with /dev/dsp? Are you sure that the 'fancy'
>> permissions are causing it?
>>

> To make things more interesting, the permissions on /dev/dsp are not
> controlled by udev. They are controled by console.perms.
>
> Mikkel

Oh God! Well I think the only rational thing to do is go back to my FC6
which has most of the serious bugs fixed. This is clearly a bug. I have
3 bugs working and this will be 4 if I want to do it.

It is clear console.perms is not working properly.

What is console.perms and can it be worked on with a roor terminal?

Karl