Distro hopping again: freespire

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 04:37:57 UTC 2007

On 19/07/07, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2007 21:11, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 18/07/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > > I just tried it here, and got basically the same thing:
> >
> > I should have mentioned. Those videos are available only within the
> > Technion. IPs outside the Technion are not served the videos.
>
> If I remember properly, this is an old problem of yours. But now that you say
> that server checks for IP, it strikes me that the problem is not with
> mplayer, but your IP/proxy configuration. Vmware client may have bridged
> networking activated, and so completely independent network configuration
> (probably DHCP served), so it just works.

Yes, this is an old problem, and a big problem that I've tried to
tackle many times. And as I help people at the university move to
Linux, this is one of only two big problems that we're having in
getting rid of Windows.

In VMWare, the network connection is NAT (share the host's IP address).

> Maybe you should check your network settings, eventualy letting dhcp manage
> your IP etc, and then try mplayer. And turn off firewall and selinux while
> checking, those may also be the source of problems...

I have turned those off, of course. Other Linux distros, even those
without a firewall or SELinux, such as Ubuntu, also cannot connect.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/