yum install vmware-server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:18:00 UTC 2007

Andras Simon wrote:

>> > The "player" and "server" are. They will run pre-built OS images.
>> >
>> > http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html
>> >

>> "server" is also capable of creating/installing new virtual machines.
>
> Indeed. And I _think_ that even the player can be used as a
> full-fledged vmware-workstation with a little help from some websites
> that can generate the necessary .vmx files for you.
>
> But then I never really understood the difference between
> vmware-server and vmware-workstation.

"Server" separates the machine runtime from the display console.  The
machine can be running one or more VMs without displaying any of them
and the console utility can run on the same or a different machine
(cross platform), connecting only when you need it.  Workstation ties
the display to the runtime and adds some features that would be most
useful in development like multiple save/restore snapshots (server
permits one, player none), cloning VM images from a common ancestor with
only the changes taking storage space, and controlling groups of virtual
machines in single operations.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com