<DRIVERFILE> for bcm43xx-fwcutter

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 18:13:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:25:16 -0700, Endy wrote:

> Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>> In bcm43xx-fwcutter tool README.fedora, I read:
>>
>>    Having obtained the file from which you wish to extract the firmware,
>>    run this command as root. Replace '<DRIVERFILE>' with the actual name
>>    of the file, of course:
>>
>>       bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware <DRIVERFILE>
>>
>> Now in my WinXP partition, in the directory:
>>    C:\Program Files\Broadcom\Broadcom 802.11\Driver
>> I find the files:
>>    BCM43XX64.CAT
>>    BCM43XX.CAT
>>    BCMWL564.SYS
>>    bcmwl5.inf
>>    BCMWL5.SYS
>>    bcmwls32.exe
>>    bcmwls.ini
>>    bcmwlu00.exe
>>    uninstall.log
>>
>> Am I on the right track?  Which is the <DRIVERFILE> ?
>> I suspect I may have to use several of these?  Is
>> this true?  How?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>> Mike.
>>

> Should be the .sys file.
> http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras/
>
> Which one depends on whether you're using 32bit or 64bit fedora.  Use the
> BCMWL564.SYS for 64 bit and BCMWL5.SYS for the 32 bit.  Hope that helps,
> Endy

As root, I ran:
bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware /root/firmware/BCMWL5.SYS | tee cut.log

Here is the top of the log:

*** WARNING ***
This file contains new version4
firmware. v4 firmware is _not_ supported by
the driver in mainline kernels. For v4 firmware
you need latest bcm43xx development version
(wireless-dev kernel tree). If you don't know what
this warning is about, use a 3.xx.xx.xx driver version
instead to extract the firmware.

  filename   :  bcmwl5.sys
  version    :  4.40.19.0
  MD5        :  114234fafec7060392195170e1c4d45e
  microcodes :  4 5 11
  pcms       :  4 5

If I understand correctly, I should:

   cd /lib/firmware
   rm -f bcm43xx*

Then go to the web, get other drivers as indicated in README,
and run bcm43xx-fwcutter on an appropriate file.

Right?

Thanks,
Mike.