A new use for Linux

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Thu Jul 19 20:44:34 UTC 2007

El Jueves, 19 de Julio de 2007 22:39, Rick Stevens escribió:
> On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 15:26 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 11:57 -0800, Bazooka Joe wrote:
> > > Are there any tools for recovering files in ext3 file system?
>
> ext3 is ext2 with a journal.  My guess is that an ext2 tool should be
> able to deal with it.

Because of the journal it doesn't :-)
Quoteing from the web I posted in a previus email

" Several things occur when an Ext3 file is deleted from Linux. Keep in mind
that the OS gets to choose exactly what occurs when a file is deleted and
this article assumes a general Linux system.

At a minimum, the OS must mark each of the blocks, the inode, and the
directory entry as unallocated so that later files can use them. This minimal
approach is what occurred several years ago with the Ext2 file system. In
this case, the recovery process was relatively simple because the inode still
contained the block addresses for the file content and tools such as debugfs
and e2undel could easily re-create the file. This worked as long as the
blocks had not been allocated to a new file and the original content was not
overwritten.

With Ext3, there is an additional step that makes recovery much more
difficult. When the blocks are unallocated, the file size and block addresses
in the inode are cleared; therefore we can no longer determine where the file
content was located. We can see the relationship between the directory entry,
the inode, and the blocks of an unallocated file in Figure 2"

Cheers
Manuel
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.