New issues with Sending email: related to Domain name transfer?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 20 03:39:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 04:24 -0500, Linus Ulrick wrote:

> Actually, the errors that I sent were all that I had at the time.
> But, I attempted an experiment on this issue by sending a test mail
> from steve at afolkey2.net to three outside addresses.  I did this using
> mutt.  As a result, I finally got a non-delivery report (which reminds
> me: the non-delivery report that I am about to quote is the first one
> that I have received in the entire time that I have been trying to
> figure this out):

The server won't accept mail from that IP.  Something similar for the
two subsequent addresses, but with less details about *why* in the
response.

Many servers will not accept mail from customer IPs (dynamic or static),
as an anti-spam deterrent.  You may be forced to "smarthost" through
your ISP, or through some other mail service that accepts mail from you.

Smarthost stops your SMTP server from directly connecting to the
end-recipient's SMTP server (it looks up the MX record for their domain,
and uses the SMTP server in the answer), all mail goes through a
pre-configured SMTP server, instead.

> ... while talking to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.:
> <<< 550-5.7.1 [74.134.123.247] The IP you're using to send email is not authorized
> <<< 550-5.7.1 to send email directly to our servers. Please use
> <<< 550 5.7.1 the SMTP relay at your service provider instead. i34si2353660wxd
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
> ... while talking to mx2.hotmail.com.:

It even spelt it out for you, above, explicity.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.