Helix as it is now - system recovery ? use RIPLinux

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 20 13:33:05 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    The Helix web page is impressive. But when you see they want to make

If your interest is fixing broken systems, or helping to install new
systems, you could take a look at RIPLinux {Recovery Is Possible Linux},
liveCD. It is knoppix based and they regularly update when new kernels
/drivers /apps are updated (and its only around 80MB}.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=rip

I use both the cd, and the pxe boot version, to help build win PC's at
work, and to fix up or save information from win gone wrong.

The main bits I use include gparted {gui partitioning /formatting
/resizing}, support for modern sata,and network controllers, mc
{midnight commander}, gftp {ftp and ssh support}, shred {when I need to
blank a disk/media before disposal}.

If a machine is seeming unreliable {commonly a windows software fault},
I network boot the pxe image, gftp a couple of large mpeg2 clips onto
the PC under test, and then play them overnight, can help to flush out
any hardware faults.

DaveT.