HPFS/NTFS File System

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 20 17:52:20 UTC 2007

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>>    This is the file system that Windows uses and I worked with fdisk
>> and it will be happy to make a partition with that file system.
>
> HPFS is an OS/2 file system.

I thought Windows could also use FAT file systems. At least the
versions of Windows I have used have supported the different
versions of FAT file systems.

Something else to keep in mind, from the fdisk man page:

If possible, fdisk will obtain the disk geometry automatically. This
 is not necessarily the physical disk geometry (indeed, modern disks
do not really have anything like a physical geometry, certainly not
something that can be described in simplistic
Cylinders/Heads/Sectors  form), but is the disk geometry that MS-DOS
uses for the partition table.

Usually all goes well by default, and there are no problems if Linux
is the only system on the disk. However, if the disk has to be
shared with other operating systems, it is often a good idea to let
an fdisk from another operating system make at least one partition.
When Linux boots it looks at the partition table, and tries to
deduce what (fake) geometry is required for good cooperation with
other systems.

Mikkel