Problem with NON-Wireless network card

Steven J. Brown (NY) sbrown at valueline.com
Fri Jul 20 18:04:37 UTC 2007

Andy Green wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Since I updated the kernel on my Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook running FC6
>> to release 2.6.22.1-15.fc6, my wired network card, a BroadCom BCM4401
>>

> I think this device is meant to be handled by a module called "b44".
> confirm first that it isn't all actually fine
>
> ifconfig -a | grep eth0

ifconfig -a | grep eth

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
(rev 02)

Looks OK.

> and
>
> lsmod | grep b44
>
> If b44 isn't in the lsmod result, try
>
> modprobe b44 ; dmesg | tail
>
> to see if that brings any joy.

b44 is in the lsmod result.
> -Andy

I tried to add a device in the network configuration utility with a
static IP address but this did not work.  Also, when I activated a
single device, multiple devices would be marked activated, even after
receiving a 'Cannot activate' message.

Under the kernel that does work, three devices appear in the config
utility (eth1, eth0.bak and eth0) with eth0 as ethernet and the other 2
as wireless (not sure why).

Under the kernel that does NOT work, one time there were 5 devices
another only 2.  One time I could add a device with the correct
hardware, another time the correct hardware was not selectable.
Something really screwy going on here.  Hopefully another kernel update
will fix it.

--
*Steven J. Brown*
Business Analyst / Programmer
sbrown at valueline.com
notebook:linux:mozilla/thunderbird

-- Beauty: What's in your eye when you have a bee in your hand.

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.