ntfs-3g

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Jul 20 22:03:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 16:50 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 15:38 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> > > Karl there are those of here who are starting to wonder....  Why don't
> > > you listen to what you are told by those who know.  I know this is a
> > > "users" list, but when a developer tells you something, please listen.
> > > If you don't understand, read it again!  What you saw was not what you
> > > thought you saw.  You remember what you want to remember.
> > >
> > > If you don't believe me, do the following:
> > >
> > > Look at your yum.log and see when you installed the various ntfs-3g
> > > packages.  I'll bet that ntfs-3g got install when you weren't looking.
> > >
> > > You can also list the packages to see which one contain the executable
> > > files necessary to actually mount an ntfs filesystem, and which ones
> > > contain the header files for development work.  Just like Rahul tried to
> > > tell you!  Sheesh!

> >     Well idiot children, this is from /var/log/yum.log:
> >
> > Jul 18 18:57:02 Installed: t1lib.i386 5.1.0-9.fc7
> > Jul 18 18:57:17 Installed: pdfedit.i386 0.3.1-1.fc7
> > Jul 20 13:41:56 Installed: ntfs-3g-devel.i386 2:1.516-1.fc7
> > [root at k5di log]#
> >
> > I got that with yum install *ntfs-3g* and it DOES make my mount ntfs
> > work for the first time ever. You smart asses assume I am wrong and I am
> > NOT!
> >
> > Lay off calling me stupid. Look at your self in a mirror :-)
> >
> > Karl
> >
> That is because ntfs-3g had been installed previosuly. Please don't get
> involved in the name calling.

Are we going to have to separate you guys?  Children, please!

Note that Karl may be simply laboring under a misconception.  The record
may not be in yum.log.  Also check ~root/install.log.  In my case, it
was installed when I set up the system, not via yum:

[root at bigdog ~]# grep ntfs install.log*
install.log:Installing ntfsprogs - 1.13.1-3.fc6.x86_64
install.log:Installing ntfsprogs - 1.13.1-3.fc6.i386
install.log:Installing ntfs-3g - 2:1.516-1.fc7.x86_64   <<<----
install.log:Installing ntfs-3g - 2:1.516-1.fc7.i386     <<<----

Yes, it's an Opteron and yes, it has 32-bit code on it as well as
64-bit.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-              "Swap memory error: You lose your mind"               -