cannot install fc7, fc6, or fc5 on new machine

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:45:24 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Vicki and Dave Stevenson <vicndave at pacbell.net> wrote:
> I bought a few parts and built a little PC:
>     cpu:    AMD A64 X2 5600 2.8GHz AM2
>     mb:    ASUS M2A-VM HDMI (with on-board video)
>     ram:    4GB
>     hdd:    Seagate 750GB Sata II ST3750640AS
>     dvd:    Pioneer 18X DVD-RW SATA DVR-212D

I would guess that you have a hardware or BIOS problem.

In these types of situations, I try to shoot for the lowest common
denominator - I'd probably remove all but one stick of RAM, any
PCI/AGP cards, and the hard drive and see whether or not I could get a
live CD (or the installer) to come up.

Failing that, I'd swap out the RAM.

Failing that, I'd begin mucking around in the BIOS.

Failing that.... well, err....

The only error you mentioned that caught my eye was "ata1:softreset
failed (1st FIS failed)" - that's almost certainly some type of SATA
problem, and also where I'd put my money were I a betting man (BIOS
setting?) I should also mention that I'm no hardware guru (drunken
shaman at best).

Good Luck!
Chris