yum downloadonly

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 21 01:40:48 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Todd Zullinger wrote:
>
>> Check out repomanage from yum-utils.  You could use it something like
>> this to move old packages to an archive dir (or remove them):
>>
>> repo=/path/to/cache
>> archive=/path/to/archive
>> repomanage --old $repo | while read package; do
>>     mv "$package" $archive
>> done
>
> I didn't quite understand this.
> If you wanted to remove the old packages
> couldn't you just say "yum clean cache"?
More clearly put, I would want to remove packages from the yum cache
that have been updated by a later version. So the old packages are the
packages that have been updated multiple times. This can save a heap of
space eg when large packages like openoffice, evolution end up having
multiple updates.

An old method of mine was to fire up gftp, select my local yum cache in
the left pane, and download.fedora.redhat.com/... updates in the right.
Then click tools|compare windows, and then right-click delete on one of
the highlighted {unique) packages on my local machine}, to delete all
the packages that are no longer in fedora updates repo.

DaveT.