problem connecting to my linus server with rsa keys through Putty on Windows

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 08:13:06 UTC 2007

On 20/07/07, Scott Berry <sberry at northlc.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I am trying to connect to an ssh server on my linux machine via putty on a
> Windows machine.  I followed the instructions and made an authorized_keys2
> file and ensured that the permissions were correct with ls -0lr.  Here are
> my permissions:
> [root at pilotalk .ssh]# ls -lr
> total 8
> -rw------- 1 root root 223 2007-07-20 09:51 authorized_keys2
>

> Now when I connect using my Windows machine to get in to root for my linux
> server I get the following error coming I assume from the linux server:
> PuTTY Fatal Error
> Server unexpectedly closed network connection
>
> What would be the most probable causes for this?  Everything looks perfect.

On top of other permissions is port 22 firewalled?
You may want to try telnet from the Windows machine
to port 22 on the Linux one to make sure the way is
clear.

Also, Putty uses a different key format, and there's
one of the Putty tools (Puttygen I think) used to
convert the private key from openssh to Putty.
I think it warns you of that though.

Can you use ssh to get to localhost from the Linux
machine?  (I.e. telnet to itself.)

--
imalone