[Fwd: Re: Linux WiFi Manual]

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 21 12:51:13 UTC 2007

-

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 22:54 -0400, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Friday 20 July 2007 4:14:19 pm Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 17:01 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > > You can download manuals for all Dell computers, AFAIK,
> > > and that is what Dell advise you to do.
> > > If you choose not to, that is your prerogative
> >
> > You find me a manual for the DELL D810 Laptop? Their representative
> > could not tell we where it was. In any case in my  former department 3
> > Dell D810 machines were ordered. Each had a different Wifi card.
>
> Aaron:
> Maybe this would help: About five years ago, my daughter-in-law was given a
> Dell desktop machine by her employer. Everything worked except for the sound
> card. We found a coated paper sticker on the rear of the case that had the
> Dell serial number on it. Digging around on the Dell support site with that
> number, I was able to find the complete bill of materials for that specific
> computer showing everything that had been installed when it left the Dell
> plant. There were also links to the computer manuals which could be read
> online, as well as other information related to the specific components.
> Might be worth a shot.
>
> -- cmg

I am sorry I started this. You are absolutely right. In fact the BIOS
displays the serial number. Also when you buy the computer you get an
inventory of its parts including the cards.

I was being difficult for no real reason.
The older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age
brings wisdom. -- H.L. Mencken
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net