switch from Matrox G450 to GeForce 6200/6200TC

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jul 22 11:43:20 UTC 2007

> 	I have never done this but today the Fedora kernels have just about
> every graphic card known in them. But yours sounds a bit special so
> there may be a problem. The way to do it will be to open the computer
> while it is turned off, remove your current card and put in the new card
> and boot your FC6.

The kernel has nothing to do with this.

Whats important is whether the Xorg version you are running supports your new
card. What I would do is.

1. Backup your current xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) so you save your
current settings, which work with your current card.

2. Trun off and replace the card.

3. Turn on. If you are lucky, at this point kudzu, the hardware detector, will
kick in to tell you your hardware has changed and ask if you want to
configure it. I'm not sure, since I've never done this, but I would hope this
should rewrite your current xorg.conf file for your new hardware...
(basically just replace the driver).

4. ALl going well when you finish the boot continues and X is up and running.
If not, then post your Xorg.log here for help.

5. If it does, then at this point you have a decision. If the default OSS nv
driver (which is what Xorg will give you) is enough, then thats it. If you
want 3D suport, you will need to install the nvidia binary driver, making
sure to choose the one that is compatible with your card. Looking at
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.11/README/appendix-a.html
it seems you can use the main release, and don't have to bother with the
legacy ones (which I need to run)

cheers Chris