Smart packages

Bob Staaf rstaaf at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 22 17:23:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 10:56 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >>
> >>     Thinking about Ferdora 7 and 8 it appears when 8 is made available
> >> we will need to download another DVD full of software. I want to talk
> >> about a better way. Why must a person building a server get 4.7 GB of
> >> software when he wants just 750 MBytes of it?
> >
> > There is no need to do. There is a network boot option with boot.iso
> > image and there are Live images, both GNOME and KDE spins for x86 is
> > around the size you want.
> >
> > Rahul
> >
> 	As usual Rahul you didn't read what I wrote. You just throw out things
> that have zero to do with concept.

Seems to me Rahul's suggest was a valid one.  The Fedora Minimal Boot
Media is basically like Debian's Net-Install.  It allows you to boot a
small image and then the rest of the install is done over the network.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-which-files.html

Another suggestion might be for you to re-spin your own minimal server
based version of Fedora.

I seriously doubt there is enough demand in the community to warrant the
creation of a specific server install version of Fedora especially since
there are other options to achieve the same goal.

Bob